Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Why Don’t You Ever See Baby Pigeons?

A bite-size answer to the question: why don’t you ever see baby pigeons?


My family and I have just moved house and are lucky enough to have a garden full of trees, bushes and wildlife. There are lots of birds – swifts, robins, thrushes, even pheasants – but in particular, an abundance of wood pigeons. Yesterday, my son asked “Daddy, why don’t you ever see baby pigeons?” Good question I thought. I remember wondering that when I lived in Tamilnadu and the only birds I ever really saw were pigeons. So what’s the answer?

Well, the simple answer is, we do see them – or at least we see the young – but we rarely notice. Baby pigeons (called squabs) grow very quickly and typically leave the nest after a just month or so. In this short amount of time, they will have already become as large as their parents. Hence the pigeons we see in public all look pretty much the same size making it hard to differentiate the young from the old.

So there we go! A bite-size answer as to why we don’t see baby pigeons.

A few incidentals… Pigeons mate for life and raise their broods together (ah, how sweet!). And they often flock together to protect themselves from cats, foxes, rats and other predators.

If you would like to read more bite-size answers to commonly asked questions then please visit:

And if you are interested in writing your own articles – on absolutely any subject – and earning royalties for your efforts why not begin today? It’s free and very easy. Why not use my referral link here – I’d be very happy to help you get started and answer any questions you may have.


No comments:

Post a Comment